Monday, October 29, 2007

Sports Fan with an Agenda

I am becoming quite the sports fan in my old age. Football, NASCAR, drag racing, baseball, even poker. If it's on TV, I'll sit and watch it. Why? Hours of uninterrupted stitching in a house full of men!

I have three boys, all of whom play multiple sports and a husband who is a major motor head. Being conversant in sports terms, rules, and players is pretty much a requirement around here. But I'm finding I probably watch more sports than anyone else - just so I can sit and stitch!

Most televised sports are good for about three hours of uninterrupted stitching. I only have a problem when my teams are playing (Go Jayhawks! 8-0 for the first time in 98 years!) because I tend to get a little excited. I can't stitch during Kansas basketball games. I once threw my stitching at the television (Bad Call!) and had a heck of a time finding the needle that fell out!

So, right now, my fifteen year old and I are watching (or rather listening to) Brett Favre (always worth watching just because he does something spectacular every game and you can catch it on replay!) and the Packers play Denver (Go Packers!) on Monday Night Football. My stitching is waiting expectantly on the couch - I already managed to get in one hour tonight, a minor miracle around here.

My only problem - Kansas plays Missouri (both vying for the Big 12 North championship) the weekend I am going to my first stitcher's weekend. Since my sister is also a Jayhawk fan, we may have to sneak off to a sports bar to watch the game. I can just see it - two middle aged women complete with their cross-stitching sitting in some Oklahoma sports bar, cheering for Kansas. We'll probably be lynched!

No comments: