Monday, October 22, 2007

I've hit the wall!

I have been madly stitching on my Chatelaine Designs Convent's Herb Garden (see right) for a month now. The piece is almost 2/3 done and I've hit THE WALL.

You know, the "Geesh this is getting boring;" "Maybe I'd enjoy this more if I put it down for a while (read: months, years) and worked on something else;" or (with appropriately whiny tone) "Can't I just start something new?"

So, where is the love? the anticipation? the thrill? (Yes, I'm talking about cross-stitch, not marriage). I studied the Herb Garden pattern before ordering the fiber/bead pack from European Cross Stitch. I thrilled when the little package arrived so quickly with each luscious silk in its own little bag and all the beads in cute little bottles. I pondered my fabric choice for days, if not weeks, finally settling on 30 ct. Legacy Dower Linen in Coconut Macaroon. And finally, when everything arrived via my own personal Santa Claus (the UPS guy), I made myself wait until I finished the little project I was working on before permitting myself to start the Herb Garden.

And now, just a few scant weeks later, I find my attention wandering. Oh, there's Long Dog Sampler's All Things I and II (and a whole cadre of fabulous Vikki Clayton silks).

Or how about the Heaven and Earth Design Keltic Mandela.

Yes, I'm being unfaithful to my Convent's Herb Garden. Do I feel guilty? No. Ok, a bit.


So now, all I'm left with is the grim determination to justify the vast sums spent on the materials for the piece (Chatelaine Designs are fabulous but they are not cheap to stitch!) before haring off on another project. Of course, my resolve will probably only last until I finish the stitching and am faced with all the d*** beads.

And yet another temptation looms on the horizon - a stitcher's retreat with my sister and ladies from The Silver Needle down in Tulsa. The thought of a few unrestrained hours in that needlework shop has my checkbook (and my husband) cringing in horror. So, I better stop whining and get stitching so I won't feel quite so guilty buying a few, just a few mind you, new projects at the retreat!

2 comments:

glenda said...

Maybe you are looking at this the wrong way....think of the accolades you will receive from other stitchers for having many WIPs! Yes, that's it - go for it!!

You must have at least one project for each day of the week. This is no time to be stingy, it is almost Christmas after all.....

(i don't suppose i was much help)

Nancy M said...

I am doing my first Chatalaine, but one that is not released yet and I am enjoying stitching as the parts come out. Maybe not working on this one all the time will help. They really are beautiful and I am beading as I go.